Sunday, March 12, 2017

Malcolm Casway

Malcolm Casway

Boynton Beach, Florida



Malcolm Casway's parents owned William J. Ferschke, Inc., a beauty and barber supply business. Located at 155 South Board Street, he lived atop the Frascella family, Aunt Jean and Uncle Jimmy, manager of Rheingold Beer (remember this brand?).  Aunt Jean raised me, while both my parents were working.

They introduced to music. I started on the trumpet, to the consternation of my neighbors but eventually made al living on Steel Pier with Govi brothers. (The Govi brothers appeared on Paul Whiteman Show).

On the Chief Halftime Show (do you remember this from out of the past), I won a $100 savings bond and an English bike.

Malcolm went to Garfield School; then Junior 5; then THS.
He played basketball under John Gaugh; baseball under Mr. Bozzo. I also played in the P.A.L. league under the tutelage of Puggy Malone. ( I later coached a team in the P.A.L. League.) [I played against him. He was very good.]

After  9th grade he moved near the end of Stuyvesant Avenue as far as the Trenton boundary. The house hosted more than its fair share of parties. I graduated THS in 1955.

At Trenton High, my teachers worked with me after school, to catch up with the academics.  Tom Murphy sticks out as a great teacher and character.

I worshipped Kelly Palumbo (First row, far left) the Dean of baseball coaches in Trenton.

My parents also were founders of Adath Israel. Rabbi S. Joshua Kohn was a family friend. I even sang in the choir at Kol Nidre.


In 2005, I attended our 50th reunion at Washington Crossing where I reacquainted with many friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment