Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Mail Bag from last month - May 2017




Hello Art, I want to Thank you for the article on my grandfather's store, Hoenig and Swern, that was very nice and I truly appreciate it......I would like to go to the Trentonia Room in the Trenton library sometime in the near future to go over material you can use for your website and/or lectures......I am available most days anytime in the afternoon......take care, Arthur.


ARTHUR HOENIG



Kenneth Deitz
 has left a new comment on your post "Ten Yiddish Expressions You Should Know": 

One more S word - "Superlative!!!" 



Posted by Kenneth Deitz to 
Trenton Jewish Historical Society at May 22, 2017 at 8:54 AM

From: Debbie Hylton
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:11 AM
To: Gregory Hatala <GHATALA@STARLEDGER.COM>
Subject: Benjamin Kaufman

Dear Mr. Hatala,

Thank you for the wonderful vintage photos of the Medal of Honor recipients.

Here's another New Jersey Medal of Honor recipient and from WW1. My great uncle Benjamin Kaufman. I hope you will be able to add his photo with some information for this coming Memorial Day. His story is also amazing.


Sincerely, 

Debbie Hylton 


Stephen Cohen 
May 22 (1 day ago)
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/images/cleardot.gif
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/images/cleardot.gif
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/images/cleardot.gif
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/images/cleardot.gif
Correction to your 10 Yiddish expressions:

Shalom is Hebrew, not Yiddish. No one ever says "Shalom" in Yiddish. Rather, you greet someone with "Sholem-aleykhem" (among other expressions), and the answer is "aleykhem-sholem". The accent is on the first syllable: SHAW-lem (or if you're Galitzyaner or Romanian, "SHU-lem"), with a secondary accent on "ah-LEY-khem" (or "ah-LY-khem" if you're Romanian).

Also, I am curious why you spelled "spiel" like German, if it's really Yiddish you're highlighting. Shouldn't you go with YIVO transcription, "shpil"? Or are you talking about Yinglish, which isn't Yiddish?

-Steve
Stephen

Thanks for the correct comment. Although I used a cited website, I great my yinn with "Vats macht a yid?"

art


No comments:

Post a Comment